The dataset has been developed for the pathological reporting of resection specimens of primary carcinomas of the vulva. In some patients with a prior diagnosis of vulval carcinoma (especially squamous), it is not clear whether a ‘new’ lesion is a recurrence or an independent neoplasm and the dataset can also be used for such tumours, especially when these ‘arise’ from the surface squamous epithelium. Molecular studies have shown that some of these ‘recurrent’ neoplasms exhibit similar mutations and are clonally related to the original tumour and are likely to represent true recurrences while others are clonally unrelated with different mutations and are likely to represent new neoplasms. In those rare cases where more than one primary tumour is present, separate datasets should be completed for each neoplasm. These should include all the elements in this dataset, except for lymph node status which does not need to be documented separately for each tumour.
Haematopoietic neoplasms, mesenchymal neoplasms, mixed epithelial and mesenchymal neoplasms, malignant melanomas, other non-epithelial malignancies and metastatic tumours are excluded from this dataset.
This dataset was developed with the kind support of the International Society of Gynecological Pathologists (ISGyP).
- August 2021
- To reference this dataset please use the following citation: McCluggage WG, Bosse T, Focchi G, Gilks CB, Hoang L, Howitt BE, Ordi J, Singh N, Wong R, McAlpine J, Lax SF (2021). Carcinoma of the Vulva Histopathology Reporting Guide. International Collaboration on Cancer Reporting; Sydney, Australia. ISBN: 978-1-922324-22-1.
The 1st edition of the dataset for Carcinoma of the vulva was developed by the following international team:
- Chair and Series Champion - W Glenn McCluggage, UK
- ICCR representative - Sigurd Lax, Austria
- Tjalling Bosse, The Netherlands
- Gustavo Focchi, Brazil
- Blake Gilks, Canada
- Lien Hoang, Canada
- Brooke Howitt, USA
- Jessica McAlpine, Canada
- Jaume Ordi, Spain
- Naveena Singh, UK
- Richard Wong, Hong Kong SAR China
Back to datasets for Female Reproductive Organs