The dataset has been developed for the reporting of resection specimens from patients with carcinoma of the urethra. The protocol applies to primary carcinomas (non-invasive and invasive), with or without associated epithelial lesions. Urothelial tumours diagnosed as papilloma or papillary urothelial neoplasm of low malignant potential are not carcinomas and this dataset does not apply to those diagnoses. Biopsy and transurethral resection specimens are dealt with in a separate dataset. Carcinomas arising in the distal penile urethra (glans region) are included in the Carcinoma of the penis and distal urethra dataset and are not to be reported using this dataset. This dataset is to be used for adenocarcinoma arising in the accessory glands of the urethra (Skene, Littre, Cowper).
- May 2018
- To reference this dataset please use the following citation: Grignon D, Brimo F, Comperat E, Delahunt B, Koch M, Lopez-Beltran A, Reuter V, Samaratunga H, Shanks J, Tsuzuki T, van der Kwast T, Varma M, Srigley JR (2018). Carcinoma of the Urethra, Histopathology Reporting Guide, Urethrectomy Specimen, 1st edition. International Collaboration on Cancer Reporting; Sydney, Australia. ISBN: 978-1-925687-15-6.
- Read more on the Carcinoma of the urethra - urethrectomy specimen dataset from the journal article written by the dataset authors: Dataset for reporting of carcinoma of the urethra (in urethrectomy specimens): recommendations from the International Collaboration on Cancer Reporting (ICCR). Shanks JH, Srigley JR, Brimo F, Comperat E, Delahunt B, Koch M, Lopez-Beltran A, Reuter V, Samaratunga H, Tsuzuki T, van der Kwast T, Varma M, Grignon D. Histopathology. 2019 Oct;75(4):453-467. doi: 10.1111/his.13877. Epub 2019 Jul 2.
The 1st edition of the dataset for Carcinoma of the urethra - urethrectomy specimen was developed by the following international team:
- Chair - David Grignon, USA
- Series Champion and ICCR representative - John R Srigley, Canada
- Fadi Brimo, Canada
- Eva Comperat, France
- Brett Delahunt, New Zealand
- Michael Koch, USA
- Antonio Lopez-Beltran, Portugal
- Victor Reuter, USA
- Hemamali Samaratunga, Australia
- Jonathan Shanks, UK
- Toyonori Tsuzuki, Japan
- Theo van der Kwast, Canada
- Murali Varma, UK