The dataset has been developed for the reporting of resection and biopsy specimens of mucosal malignancies of the larynx, hypopharynx and trachea. The protocol applies to all invasive carcinomas of the larynx, hypopharynx and trachea (including the supraglottis, glottis, and subglottis). Salivary-type malignancies arising from mucosal glands of the hypopharynx and larynx should be recorded in this dataset. Mucosal melanoma is presented in a separate dataset. Lymphomas and sarcomas are not included. Malignancies arising at other sites in the head and neck region, and neck dissections and nodal excisions are dealt with in separate datasets which may be used, as appropriate, in conjunction with this dataset. Where more than one anatomically or histologically distinct primary tumours occur, a separate dataset should be completed for each tumour.
This dataset was developed with the kind support of the North American Society of Head and Neck Pathology (NASHNP), American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology (AAOMP), International Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathologists (IAOP) and British Society for Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology (BSOMP).
1st edition - September 2018
- To reference this dataset please use the following citation: Helliwell T, Chernock R, Dahlstrom JE, Gale N, McHugh J, Perez-Ordonez B, Roland N, Zidar N, Thompson LDR. (2018) Carcinomas of the Hypopharynx, Larynx and Trachea, Histopathology Reporting Guide, 1st edition. International Collaboration on Cancer Reporting; Sydney, Australia. ISBN: 978-1-925687-17-0
Read more on the Carcinomas of the hypopharynx, larynx and trachea dataset from the journal article written by the dataset authors: Data set for reporting of carcinomas of the hypopharynx, larynx and trachea: Explanations and recommendations of the Guidelines from the International Collaboration on Cancer Reporting. Helliwell T, Chernock R, Dahlstrom J, Gale N, McHugh J, Perez-Ordonez B, Roland N, Zidar N, Thompson LDR. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2019 Apr;143(4):432-438. doi: 10.5858/arpa.2018-0419-SA. Epub 2018 Nov 30.
The Carcinomas of the Hypopharynx, Larynx and Trachea dataset was developed by the following international team:
- Chair - Tim Helliwell, UK
- Series Champion - Lester Thompson, USA
- ICCR representative - John R Srigley, Canada
- ICCR representative - David Ellis, Australia
- Rebecca Chernock, USA
- Jane Dahlstrom, Australia
- Nina Gale, Slovenia
- Jonathan McHugh, USA
- Bayardo Perez-Ordonez, Canada
- Nick Roland, UK
- Nina Zidar, Slovenia