The dataset has been developed for the reporting of resection specimens for ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) of the breast. The protocol applies to cases of DCIS and for where microinvasion (≤1 mm) is present. It also covers other in situ lesions including pleomorphic and florid variants of lobular carcinoma in situ (LCIS), as well as encapsulated papillary carcinoma and solid papillary carcinoma in situ. This dataset may also be used in those rare cases of DCIS removed at core biopsy but without evidence of residual DCIS in a subsequent excision specimen. This protocol should only be used for re-excisions when they contain the largest extent of DCIS.
A separate dataset should be completed for bilateral DCIS and for each excision specimen in unilateral disease.
DCIS (with or without microinvasion) diagnosed on needle core biopsies only, and residual DCIS post neoadjuvant therapy are outside the scope. Separate ICCR datasets cover DCIS associated with invasive breast carcinomas and breast resections in the neoadjuvant setting. Surgically removed lymph nodes are covered in a separate ICCR dataset which may be used, as appropriate, in conjunction with this dataset.
This dataset was developed with the kind support from the International Society of Breast Pathology (ISBP) and Singapore General Hospital (SGH) - Breast Pathology Course.
Minor update to the 1st edition - Version 1.1 June 2021
- June 2021
- To reference this dataset please use the following citation: Fox S, Chen CJ, Chua B, Collins LC, Foschini MP, Mann B, Millar EKA, Pinder S, Rakha E, Shaaban AM, Tan BY, Tse GM, Watson PH, Tan PH (2021). Ductal Carcinoma In Situ, Variants of Lobular Carcinoma In Situ and Low Grade Lesions Histopathology Reporting Guide. International Collaboration on Cancer Reporting; Sydney, Australia. ISBN: 978-1-922324-10-8.
The 1st edition of the dataset for Ductal carcinoma in situ, variants of lobular carcinoma in situ and low grade lesions was developed by the following international team:
- Chair - Stephen Fox, Australia
- Series Champion - Puay Hoon Tan, Singapore
- ICCR representative - David Ellis, Australia
- Chih Jung Chen, Taiwan
- Boon Chua, Australia
- Laura C Collins, USA
- Maria Pia Foschini, Italy
- Bruce Mann, Australia
- Ewan KA Millar, Australia
- Sarah Pinder, UK
- Emad Rakha, UK
- Abeer M Shaaban, UK
- Benjamin Yongcheng Tan, Singapore
- Gary M Tse, Hong Kong SAR China
- Peter H Watson, Canada
Back to datasets for Breast page.