The dataset has been developed for the reporting of lymph node resections from patients with carcinomas and melanomas of the head and neck. This excludes nodal resections for lymphoma and sarcomas. It is not intended for use in reporting lymph node core biopsy or fine needle aspirations. Carcinomas covered by the dataset include squamous cell carcinomas, sinonasal carcinomas, salivary and non-salivary type adenocarcinomas and neuroendocrine tumours. Pathologists may also apply the dataset to metastatic non-Merkel cutaneous squamous cell carcinomas and other cutaneous carcinomas. This dataset is to be used in conjunction with other datasets in the Head and Neck Series.
This dataset was developed with the kind support of the North American Society of Head and Neck Pathology (NASHNP), American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology (AAOMP), International Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathologists (IAOP) and British Society for Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology (BSOMP).
- September 2018
- To reference this dataset please use the following citation: Bullock M, Beitler JJ, Carlson DL, Fonseca I, Hunt J, Katabi N, Sloan P, Taylor SM, Williams MD, Thompson LDR. (2018) Nodal Excisions and Neck Dissection Specimens for Head & Neck Tumours, Histopathology Reporting Guide, 1st edition. International Collaboration on Cancer Reporting; Sydney, Australia. ISBN: 978-1-925687-24-8
Read more on the Nodal excisions and neck dissection specimens for head and neck tumours dataset from the journal article written by the dataset authors: Data set for the reporting of nodal excisions and neck dissection specimens for head and neck tumours: Explanations and Recommendations of the Guidelines from the International Collaboration on Cancer Reporting. Bullock M, Beitler J, Carlson DL, Fonseca I, Hunt J, Katabi N, Sloan P, Taylor SM, Williams M, Thompson LDR. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2019 Apr;143(4):452-462. doi: 10.5858/arpa.2018-0421-SA. Epub 2018 Nov 30.
The Nodal Excisions and Neck Dissection Specimens for Head & Neck Tumours dataset was developed by the following international team:
- Chair - Martin Bullock, Canada
- Series Champion - Lester Thompson, USA
- ICCR representative - John R Srigley, Canada
- ICCR representative - David Ellis, Australia
- Jonathan Beitler, USA
- Diane L Carlson, USA
- Isabel Fonseca, Portugal
- Jennifer Hunt, USA
- Nora Katabi, USA
- Philip Sloan, UK
- S Mark Taylor, Canada
- Michelle Williams, USA