The dataset has been developed for the reporting of resection and biopsy specimens of the nasopharynx and oropharynx. The protocol applies to all invasive carcinomas of the nasopharynx and oropharynx including the base of tongue, tonsils, soft palate, posterior wall, and uvula. Lymphomas and sarcomas are not included. Neck dissections and nodal excisions are dealt with in a separate dataset, and this dataset should be used in conjunction, where applicable.
This dataset was developed with the kind support of the North American Society of Head and Neck Pathology (NASHNP), American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology (AAOMP), International Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathologists (IAOP) and British Society for Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology (BSOMP).
1st edition - September 2018
- To reference this dataset please use the following citation: Lewis JS Jr, Adelstein DJ, Agaimy A, Carlson D, Faquin WC, Helliwell T, Hille J, Nicholls JM, Ng T, O'Sullivan B, Thompson LDR. (2018) Carcinomas of the Nasopharynx and Oropharynx, Histopathology Reporting Guide, 1st edition. International Collaboration on Cancer Reporting; Sydney, Australia. ISBN: 978-1-925687-18-7
Read more on the Carcinomas of the nasopharynx and oropharynx dataset from the journal article written by the dataset authors: Data set for the reporting of carcinomas of the nasopharynx and oropharynx: Explanations and recommendations of the guidelines from the International Collaboration on Cancer Reporting (ICCR). Lewis JS Jr, Adelstein DJ, Agaimy A, Carlson D, Faquin WC, Helliwell T, Hille J, Ng T, Nicholls J, O’Sullivan B, Thompson LDR. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2019 Apr;143(4):447-451. doi: 10.5858/arpa.2018-0405-SA. Epub 2018 Nov 30.
The Carcinomas of the Nasopharynx and Oropharynx dataset was developed by the following international team:
- Chair - James S Lewis Jr, USA
- Series Champion - Lester Thompson, USA
- ICCR representative - John R Srigley, Canada
- ICCR representative - David Ellis, Australia
- David Adelstein, USA
- Abbas Agaimy, Germany
- Diane Carlson, USA
- William Faquin, USA
- Tim Helliwell, UK
- Jos Hille, South Africa
- John Nicholls, Hong Kong SAR China
- Tony Ng, Canada
- Brian O'Sullivan, Canada