The dataset has been developed for the reporting of resection and biopsy specimens of mucosal melanoma arising in the nasopharynx, oropharynx, larynx, hypopharynx, oral cavity, nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses. All other malignancies and tumour categories are dealt with in separate datasets, specifically cutaneous melanoma is separately reported. Direct extension of a cutaneous primary into a mucosal site should be excluded, and would not be reported in this dataset. Metastasis to a head and neck mucosal site is also excluded. Neck dissections and nodal excisions are dealt with in a separate dataset, and this dataset should be used in conjunction, where applicable.
This dataset was developed with the kind support of the North American Society of Head and Neck Pathology (NASHNP), American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology (AAOMP), International Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathologists (IAOP) and British Society for Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology (BSOMP).
1st edition - September 2018
- To reference this dataset please use the following citation: Thompson LDR, Franchi A, Helliwell T, Müller S, Williams MD. (2018) Mucosal Melanomas of the Head and Neck, Histopathology Reporting Guide, 1st edition. International Collaboration on Cancer Reporting; Sydney, Australia. ISBN: 978-1-925687-25-5
Read more on the Mucosal melanomas of the head and neck dataset from the journal article written by the dataset authors: Data set for reporting of mucosal melanomas of the head and neck: Explanations and recommendations of the guidelines from the International Collaboration on Cancer Reporting. Williams MD, Franchi A, Helliwell T, Muller S, Thompson LDR. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2019 May;143(5):603-609. doi: 10.5858/arpa.2018-0412-SA. Epub 2018 Nov 30.
The Mucosal Melanomas of the Head and Neck dataset was developed by the following international team:
- Chair and Series Champion - Lester Thompson, USA
- ICCR representative - John R Srigley, Canada
- ICCR representative - David Ellis, Australia
- Alessandro Franchi, Italy
- Tim Helliwell, UK
- Susan Müller, USA
- Michelle Williams, USA