The dataset has been developed for the reporting of resection and biopsy specimens of malignant neoplasms and associated carcinoma in situ arising from the major salivary glands. The protocol applies to all carcinomas of the parotid, submandibular and sublingual glands. Melanomas, lymphomas, and sarcomas are dealt with in separate datasets. Minor salivary gland malignancies arising in the oral cavity, nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses, trachea, nasopharynx, oropharynx and hypopharynx and odontogenic specimens are staged according to their anatomical sub-site and are dealt with in separate datasets. In addition, neck dissections and nodal excisions are dealt with in a separate dataset, and this dataset should be used in conjunction, where applicable. For bilateral tumours, a separate dataset should be completed for each tumour.
This dataset was developed with the kind support of the North American Society of Head and Neck Pathology (NASHNP), American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology (AAOMP), International Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathologists (IAOP) and British Society for Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology (BSOMP).
1st edition -
- To reference this dataset please use the following citation: Seethala RR, Altemani A, Ferris RL, Fonseca I, Gnepp DR, Ha P, Nagao T, Skalova A, Stenman G, Thompson LDR. (2018) Carcinomas of the Major Salivary Glands, Histopathology Reporting Guide, 1st edition. International Collaboration on Cancer Reporting; Sydney, Australia. ISBN: 978-1-925687-21-7
Read more on the Carcinomas of the major salivary glands dataset from the journal article written by the dataset authors: Data set for the reporting of carcinomas of the major salivary glands: Explanations and recommendations of the guidelines from the international collaboration on cancer reporting (ICCR). Seethala RR, Altemani A, Ferris RL, Fonseca I, Gnepp DR, Ha P, Nagao T, Skalova A, Stenman G, Thompson LDR. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2019 May;143(5):578-586. doi: 10.5858/arpa.2018-0422-SA. Epub 2018 Nov 30.
The Carcinomas of the Major Salivary Glands dataset was developed by the following international team:
- Chair - Raja Seethala, USA
- Series Champion - Lester Thompson, USA
- ICCR representative - John R Srigley, Canada
- ICCR representative - David Ellis, Australia
- Albina Altemani, Brazil
- Robert L Ferris, USA
- Isabel Fonseca, Portugal
- Douglas Gnepp, USA
- Patrick Ha, USA
- Toshitaka Nagao, Japan
- Alena Skalova, Czech Republic
- Göran Stenman, Sweden