This dataset has been developed for the reporting of resection specimens after neoadjuvant therapy from patients with invasive carcinoma of the breast with or without ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS). This dataset is for post-treatment surgical specimens. Core needle biopsies are not included.
A brief pre-operative exposure is not considered neoadjuvant therapy. This document is intended where neoadjuvant treatment was of longer duration with therapeutic intent.
This dataset overlaps with the ICCR dataset for reporting of resection specimens from patients with invasive breast carcinoma, the ICCR dataset for reporting of DCIS without invasive carcinoma and microinvasive carcinoma (≤1 millimetres (mm)) where DCIS represents residual disease post neoadjuvant therapy, and the ICCR dataset for reporting surgically removed lymph nodes for breast tumours. Reporting of resection specimens after neoadjuvant therapy from patients with invasive carcinoma of the breast requires multidisciplinary collaboration and specialised handling of the resection specimen. A separate dataset for the neoadjuvant setting containing both the standard elements that remain applicable after neoadjuvant therapy and the elements specific for the neoadjuvant setting is provided to be used in conjunction with the other ICCR datasets, as appropriate.
The reporting of DCIS without invasive carcinoma and microinvasive carcinoma (≤1 mm), pleomorphic and florid lobular carcinoma in situ (LCIS), encapsulated papillary carcinoma and solid papillary carcinoma in situ are dealt with in a separate ICCR dataset. Sarcomas with or without neoadjuvant therapy are covered in a separate ICCR dataset.
Ipsilateral multifocal disease should be dealt with in a single report. For bilateral invasive breast tumours, a separate dataset should be completed for each side.
This dataset was developed with the kind support from the International Society of Breast Pathology (ISBP) and Singapore General Hospital (SGH) - Breast Pathology Course.
1st edition -
- To reference this dataset please use the following citation: Bossuyt V, Elena Provenzano E, Symmans WF, Allison KH, Dang C, Gobbi H, Kulka J, Lakhani SR, Moriya T, Quinn CM, Sapino A, Schnitt S, Sibbering DM, Slodkowska E, Yang W, Tan PH, Ellis I (2022). Invasive Carcinoma of the Breast in the Setting of Neoadjuvant Therapy Histopathology Reporting Guide. International Collaboration on Cancer Reporting; Sydney, Australia. ISBN: 978-1-922324-31-3
The 1st edition of the dataset for Invasive carcinoma of the breast in the setting of neoadjuvant therapy was developed by the following international team:
- Chair - Ian Ellis, UK
- Series Champion - Puay Hoon Tan, Singapore
- ICCR representative - David Ellis, Australia
- Veerle Bossuyt, USA - Dataset authoring subcommittee
- Elena Provenzano, UK - Dataset authoring subcommittee
- W Fraser Symmans, USA - Dataset authoring subcommittee
- Kimberly H Allison, USA
- Chau Dang, USA
- Helenice Gobbi, Brazil
- Janina Kulka, Hungary
- Sunil R Lakhani, Australia
- Takuya Moriya, Japan
- Cecily M Quinn, Ireland
- Anna Sapino, Italy
- Stuart Schnitt, USA
- Mark Sibbering, UK
- Elzbieta Slodkowska, Canada
- Wentao Yang, China
Back to datasets for Breast